Wednesday, March 19, 2014

My Personal Life

On the weekend I received an email from a friend asking me why I don’t put my guard down and write more about my personal life and struggles.  I do write about my personal life and more than once I have written that I find life difficult a great deal of the time.  Usually I only share the best parts of my personal life.  No one wants to hear about my wife and I having a disagreement.  Overall I feel like I’ve had a successful life although I often feel I’ve had little personal success.  This year I will be married 40 years.  In this time I have raised two children successfully.  I feel blessed that I’ve had a long employment.  Next year I will be with my employer for 30 years.  Success in life, however, does not always give you an equal measure of happiness.  People seem to like me because I am sensitive and a deep thinker.  These traits are not always as good for me as they might be for others.  I have often struggled in life because I expect too much from it.  I am a dreamer, an idealist, and a romantic.  I don’t write about every bad day that I experience.  I have always strived to make my daily thoughts positive and optimistic.  Rather than share all of my personal failures and struggles, I attempt to help others find the meaning and beauty in their lives.  People write to me and tell me they love my attitude or perspective on life.  It is my goal to be happy, to see the beauty in life, and to practice kindness and compassion to all.  I don’t always reach these goals.  Sometimes I am unhappy and feel overwhelmed with the demands of life.  Occasionally people make me crazy and I just want to be alone.  I want to be engaged with life but often I am disengaged and withdrawn.  The good thing, however, is that I never give up trying to be the kind of person that I want to be.  Some days this comes easily and other days it is difficult.  All of us struggle one way or another.   

No comments: