Wednesday, February 05, 2014

Hope For The Flowers

I am getting tired of writing about the weather.  Late yesterday afternoon and throughout most of the night we had another winter storm.  This time it was freezing rain mixed with sleet and snow.  I was fortunate because I never lost power.  However, as I watched the ice accumulate on the power lines in front of my home I was concerned.  There was a time last night when I would not have been surprised if the office was closed today.  At the very least I expected another two hour delay in opening.  Much to my surprise I woke up to find out we were operating on our normal schedule.  When I left home the temperature was above freezing and the ice had turned to slush.  I had no problem driving into the office.  I think most people, including me, are tired of what seems to be one winter storm after another.  I believe we have another one heading our way this weekend.  Last night a high school friend who lives in Florida send me a note telling me to hang in there and to visualize spring.  She reminded me of “spring green, daffodils, forsythia, and lovely sun”.  In the downtown area along the interstate highways are planted thousands of daffodil bulbs.  Each spring, seemingly overnight, they push through the ground and the hillsides are a blanket of white and yellow daffodils.  When I first notice this beauty I know that spring is here.  This morning the land along the interstate highways is covered with ice, snow, and slush.  There may be more of all of this in coming weeks.  However, below the ice, snow, and slush, the daffodils patiently wait for their moment in the sun when winter has faded away and soring has arrived one more time.  This thought reminds me of a book I read many years ago called Hope For The Flowers by Trina Paulus.  I still have hope for the flowers and I know that spring will be here soon.
 

No comments: