Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Life Is A Journey

Every Monday my wife and I pick up my granddaughter at her martial arts school and we take her out for dinner.  Yesterday was no exception.  It was also a shopping trip for new school uniforms.  This was a reminder to me of the passage of time and the cycle of life.  The summer is flying by and in a matter of weeks a new school year will begin.  Like most children Chloe is not thrilled.  My granddaughter, and all young people, are in the stage of life when one prepares for life and when one gathers in what is perceived as necessary for life’s journey.  My preparation and my gathering are behind me.  I am at the stage of letting go, simplifying, and deconstructing as I strive for personal self-actualization.  Watching my granddaughter grow up, seeing all the road work around town, watching the construction of new buildings, while grieving the recent passing of my best friend, remind me that life goes on.  All of life is a journey.  When we begin the journey we have no idea where it will take us and we have no idea when it will end.  Many people have goals and some have desired destinations.  These are good things but we should not forget that the journey of life is the destination.  If your whole focus is the preparation, the gathering, or the goals and destinations you desire, you may miss the journey and you may find yourself wondering, “How did I get here”?  As your travel through your life, know where you are, and enjoy the moments because life is made up of such moments.  As John Lennon once sang, “Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans”.      
 

No comments: