Friday, February 08, 2013

Get On With It

I take a simple view of living. It is to keep your eyes open and get on with it”.
-Actor Laurence Olivier

Life is complicated enough without us making it more so. However, if you live one day at a time and live in the moment of each day as fully as you can, life is greatly simplified and it is much easier to “get on with it”. Living in the moment is only possible when our eyes are open and we are awake. Too many of us walk through our lives asleep. When our eyes are open and we are awake, we can be more mindful of the moments of our lives. If you pay attention to life in general, and your own life in particular, much will be revealed that you might otherwise miss. Pay attention to what goes on around you. Notice things. Take nothing for granted. See everything as a gift. Simple things are important. I came into work today all happy because it’s Friday and tomorrow I will be spending the day with my granddaughter. I hung up my coat and attempted to boot up my computer. Nothing happened. Since I am not exactly what you would call a technical guy, I had a co-worker look at it to see if the problem was simply user error on my part. For once in my life it wasn’t. The power source was out and I had to call a real computer guy to fix it. One little power source brought my morning to a complete halt. When the problem was fixed and the electricity flowed through my computer, I had a new appreciation for Thomas Edison and computer gifts. It was a simple problem with a simple solution but when it was fixed I felt a simple joy and much gratitude. Now I can get on with my life.







No comments: