Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Music We Love

Recently a co-worker gave me a little sign that she said reminded her of me. The sign read, “I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands.” This is a true statement about me. I’m definitely getting older and I did get to see all the cool bands, especially when I was a young hippie. I grew up in the sixties. I saw performers like Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, the Doors with Jim Morrison, and many other classic rock acts. I’ve been to huge music festivals and smoky blues bars. Music is a very important part of my life. Music is more than entertainment for me. Music is a part of my lifestyle. In many ways music is a kind of religion for me. In my home my entire “man cave” is dedicated to music. I read somewhere that whatever music you listened to between the ages of 15-20 is probably what you will listen to for the rest of your life. Although I am open to new artists and styles of music, I do find myself lost in the musical landscape of the late 60’s and early 70’s most of the time. During that time I heard the music and saw most of the artists whose music and lyrics became part of the soundtrack of my life. These songs are still part of my life and I suspect will be forever. These were the formative years where I left childhood behind and I started the long journey of becoming who I am today. I have a deep emotional bond with the music of that era. What about you? Do you feel this way about whatever music you love? How important is music to you? What role does it play in your life?



No comments: