Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sunday Afternoon Thoughts







This day and my weekend are drawing to a close despite the fact it will be hours before the blazing sun sets. It has been another very hot day that has kept me indoors much of the time. Most people are usually a little down on Sunday's because they know another work week looms on the horizon. As I have said before, I don't really dread the work week, I just have a preference for being home. However, if one strives to live in the eternal NOW, it shouldn't matter where you are because it's all good.

This weekend was all good. I slept in on Saturday and then had some leisure time before picking up my granddaughter and taking her to see "Toy Story". As usual, she sat on my lap for the entire movie while wearing one of my flannel shirts to keep warm from the abundant air conditioning flowing in the theater. After the movie we came to my house for a while. The whole point of entertaining Chloe for the afternoon was to give her mother the time and freedom to prepare for her birthday party which was held last night. Before leaving our house Chloe voiced a STRONG desire to play outside, with me, in the afternoon heat. This was not at the top of my list of things I wanted to do. I voiced a STRONG preference for staying indoors. Of course, I lost and soon found myself outdoors in the heat. Feeling bad about my objection to her request, I gave her a hug and told her I was sorry for yelling at her. She looked at me and said, "I know you are". What could I say but, "I love you, Chloe". I have never loved anyone as much as I love my granddaughter and I have never felt as much love from anyone as I do from her. She is truly a special child and the best thing that ever happened to me.

My son and daughter in law did a great job with the birthday part. Both sides of the family were there, the food was great, and Chloe truly seemed to enjoy her special day. Childhood can be so wonderful. Why are all of us in such a hurry to grow up?

Today was another day of sleeping in and spending most of the day being useless. There was a brief spurt of activity when I went outside and hosed off the front porch and the back patio. This insignificant chore gave me more personal satisfaction than a week of the work I get paid for during the work week. For one thing, it was a simple task and I love a simple, uncomplicated life.

Tomorrow begins another work week. The worst part of working is the forced exit from my bed earlier than I would choose if within my control. In spite of the fact that I hate being ejected from my bed by alarm clocks, I am a morning person. In fact, on days I don't have to go to work I love early mornings so much that I can't wait to wake up when I go to bed the night before. I don't dread the work week. At this point in my life time goes so fast that even the work week is a bit of a blur. The challenge of everyday is to slow it down by being in the moment.

I am including a few pictures from Chloe's birthday party to show that she had a great time and got everything she wanted, i.e., a tool belt, a four wheeler, and a ballerina outfit. Now she can be just like her Dad except, as far as I know, her Dad doesn't have a ballerina outfit. Has she really only been here six years? I cannot remember time before she was born.

No comments: