Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Lots Of Rain!

I was having a very quiet week until yesterday morning. Shortly after I arrived at my office the sky turned ink black, the heavens opened up, and more rain fell in one hour than ever before in the history of local weather forecasting. For a while it seemed that Judgement Day had arrived. In actual fact the local meteorologists didn't see this one coming. They knew it would rain but they didn't know the massive storm would build up over Louisville and hold its ground. Approximately six inches of rain fell in little over an hour. It completely overwhelmed the local drainage system. Our local library was hit especially hard and thousands of books were destroyed. Many cars stalled in high water or were flooded in parking lots. Other local landmarks that were also hit hard by the flooding were the University of Louisville and Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby. I was more fortunate than most. There was no flooding in my neighborhood and while at work I was safe and dry on the 11th floor of my building, though at one point the glass Atrium above me shuddered under the high winds. My car was also safe and dry on the 2nd floor of my parking garage. A second storm occurred in the afternoon adding more water to an already critical situation. My thoughts and prayers are with all those whose homes or businesses were damaged. Fortunately there were no deaths or serious injuries.

No comments: