Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Happiness

I have a new co-worker. She began working with me yesterday. Last Friday she loaned me a book by the Dalai Lama entitled "An Open Heart". The book is about practicing compassion in everyday life. I read part of the first chapter before I came to work today. It was about happiness. Happiness is basically a choice and an attitude. You can have everything in the world and not be happy while some people who have little in terms of material things are supremely happy. I consider myself to be a happy person. Is my life perfect? No. Does everything go my way? No. Do I have everything I want? No. Is my body perfect? Are you kidding? If I started with my head and went to my feet, I could easily list 25 imperfections with my body. Even my granddaughter Chloe notices that my hair is "all gone". I am happy because I am content. If I don't have too much of somethings, I have enough. My life is comfortable if not perfect. There's lots of love in my life. I have a roof over my head and I never go hungry. I am part of a good family and I have lots of friends. I am not a genius but I have a good mind. I don't feel special but I am not without talent. I can't run a marathon but I can walk. I know how to appreciate a good moment. I'm actually having one right now. There are many reasons to be happy. Sometimes we just have to stop and think about it.

No comments: