Tuesday, January 23, 2018

My Mother

After a long and difficult day yesterday, my mother passed away last night.  She survived my father by nine years.  I am my mother's first born child and I have three brothers and two sisters.  My mother lived a long life and was 88 years old.  As strange as it may sound I don't think I knew my mother very well.  We never had a truly deep conversation and she never shared any personal feelings or experiences.  I really don't know what she even thought of me or how I turned out.  We were not really close and the only compliment I ever received from her was for the eulogy I gave at my father's funeral.  Although we were not close our relationship was not hostile or estranged.  It just wasn't very deep.  Despite my own personal experience of my mother, some of my younger siblings and most of the grandchildren and great-grandchildren loved her dearly.  She was a good person but I am sure she had her own issues and struggles like the rest of us.  I sometimes got a glimpse into these things but never completely understood their reasons.  I have learned over time that my parents generation had many secrets.  The next few days will be intense.  I expect many visitors to the funeral home.  My youngest son, who is a priest, will preside at her funeral mass and burial.  The last few years were challenging for my mother in terms of her health so I am happy her struggles with health and whatever other burdens she had are over.  She had a long life and a good run.  

1 comment:

Tim Bindner said...

Oh God, Michael I'm so sorry.