Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Right Livelihood


The fifth step of the Noble Eightfold Path is “Right Livelihood”.  This is a tough one.  Most of the people I know, including me, feel as though they have a job that is not necessarily a career or a calling.  I believe “Right Livelihood” is achieved when you are doing what you were born to do.  Most of us had dreams in our youth of saving the world or at least changing it.  In our adulthood many of us are just trying to get through the day.   However, all is not lost.  Even if you are not able to earn money or make a living doing what you were born to do, you can still achieve Right Livelihood.  We all do many things to make money and support ourselves.  Beyond just making money, we can still do whatever we were born to do wherever we are.  Some people think I was born to write my daily thoughts.  Who would have ever predicted I would best be known at Humana for my writing?  I started writing daily thoughts at work for whoever reported to me at the time and it grew from there.  I now have hundreds of followers at Humana, on Twitter, and with my blogs.  My thoughts are syndicated and I have heard from people all over the world.  People have been after me for years to compile a book.  Hopefully, I will finally accomplish this if I ever really retire.  These days I am too busy and too tired.  For most of us Right Livelihood is more about finding your calling than simply getting paid for something you love or do well.       

No comments: