Wednesday, February 08, 2017

The Little Things Are The Big Things

The present moment is filled with joy and happiness.  If you are attentive, you will see it.”
-Thich Nhat Hanh
 
A small key opens big doors.”
-Turkish Proverb
 
Even though I currently work mostly for money, money is not the most important part of working for me.  My happiness is more important than how much money I make.  You could double or triple my salary but if I am in a miserable work environment it wouldn’t matter.  Like most people, regardless of age, I don’t always feel like coming to work.  I have learned that getting out of bed and coming to work is much harder than actually being at work.  Once I am physically here I am fine.  I am surrounded by people who are mostly just like me.  I do my work but I also have fun and my day is often filled with a lot of laughter and light hearted moments.  Most of my day is under my control.  I can listen to music much of the day and music is one of my favorite things in life.  My next door neighbor and I bring in our own coffee so I am able to enjoy great coffee whenever I want it.  From time to time I get up and take a stroll around the office to get my heart pumping a little faster and to clear my mind.  If the weather is bad I feel gratitude that I work in an office.  I could be busting rocks somewhere.  You don’t have to be old to appreciate the small things in life.  In actuality, the small things are really the big things.  Most of our lives are ordinary and it is the small things that bring us the greatest happiness.  Most of our worry and stress is brought on by our own over-active minds.  Practicing mindfulness, or being in the moment, is really nothing more than being awake to reality.  There are blessings in every moment but you sometimes have to learn to recognize and appreciate them.             
 

No comments: