Friday, February 17, 2017

Seasons Of Life

In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy.”
-William Blake
 
Each morning we are born again.  What we do today is what matters most.”
-Buddha
 
Light is in both the broken bottle and the diamond, and music is in both flowing violin and the water dripping from the drainage pipe.”
-Mark Nepo
 
We are all in different stages of life.  I like to compare life to the seasons of nature.  Some of us are in the springtime of our life.  Some of us are in the summer of our lives.  Others are in the autumn of life and I now find myself in the winter of life.  I am grateful because everyone doesn’t get to experience winter.  Each stage of life, each season, has its joys as well as challenges.  Even though I am still working full time, I will soon be what is considered full retirement age.  Since I have reached this milestone, I went to the social security office yesterday to sign up for my retirement benefits.  My wife found the experience a little depressing.  I wondered why since this will add additional money to our income.  She replied, “I am not ready for this stage of life.  I feel like it is the beginning of the end and I am not ready for it”.  It is a reality that I am closer to the end of my life than I am to the beginning.  However, I have learned from the seed time of my life and I have shared what I have learned from the harvest of my life.  It is now winter but winter has its own beauty and I will enjoy it for as long as it lasts.  It is the cycle of life but each morning I am reborn.  My life is today.  All my yesterday’s are gone.  The future has yet to be revealed.  Today is what matters and I am still here.  I will look for the light in the broken bottle and the diamond.  I will hear the music in the flowing violin and the running water.  I will enjoy life and I will pray for a long winter.    
 

No comments: