Thursday, February 23, 2017

Relax And Live

The hustle and bustle of everyday life desensitizes us from the universe.  Mindfulness helps us to resensitize us to the wonders of our lives.”
-Unknown
 
Few of us ever live in the present.  We are forever anticipating what is to come or remembering what has gone.”
-Louis L’Amour
 
I am not a fan of modern life and sometimes I wonder why the universe decided this is the time I should be living.  Once I visited France where I drank wine at lunch and then I took a nap.  That’s how a man should live.  I tend to be a dreamer who gazes at the stars at night.  I like to be aware enough to notice things.  When you are meeting yourself coming and going,  there is no time for wine or star gazing.  Yes, I understand that daily life includes some chores that need to be accomplished.  However we are not made to be stressed out and unhappy.  Life includes pain but should not be dominated with pain and unhappiness.  As my mentor the Dalai Lama teaches, “Everyone wants to be happy and to have a minimum of suffering in their life”.  One way to achieve this is to be in the moment.  When you are present to the wonder of the moment, you are not regretting the past or worrying about the future.  I am not naïve or drunk on wine as I write these thoughts.  No one needs to tell me that every moment is not a walk in the park.  I would be a liar if I said I loved every moment of the day.  The band U2 sings that “some days are better than others”.  This is true but I think every day has moments that are silver linings to what might be a storm cloud of a day.  This is why it is important to slow down and re-sensitize yourself to the wonders of life.  If all you are doing is running in circles like your hair is on fire, you will miss them.  A good way for everyone to start living in the present is to stop, breathe, and chill out, especially if you are high strung, hyper-active, “wired for sound”, type A, or super intense.  Relax and live….     
 

No comments: