Friday, February 10, 2017

If You Want To Do Something, Just Do It

We can learn a lot from children.  We need to take more time to be playful and enjoy simple things.”
-Jayne Morris
 
How do you let go?  You just let go.”
-Vernon Howard
 
If you want to have a prayer life, just start praying.”
-Thomas Merton
 
I dearly love my granddaughter.  Her young life has been very impactful to me.  The innocence of her childhood reminded me of many things that we adults quickly forget.  However, she will be a teen-ager on her next birthday so all the concerns and drama of a teenage girl are creeping into her life.  I miss watching SpongeBob Squarepants with my five year old granddaughter.  However, my current granddaughter is a really cool person and I love spending time with her.
 
As adults we often go through life with a lot of accumulated baggage.  Our worries, concerns, and daily challenges often weigh us down.  My wife and I are getting old and we thought life would be easier now but we still feel overwhelmed at times with things to do, places to go, and tasks that need to be completed.  I am always wondering how much of what I do every day really needs to be done.  We all need to let go of one or more things.  The way to begin is to just start letting go.  Look at your life and decide what is truly essential?  Let the non-essential parts of your life fall away.  Don’t do anything just to do it.  Ask yourself, “Does this activity have any real value?”.
 
Finally, if you need some peace and calm, start taking some time to just be.  How do you just be?  You can start by being quiet and being still and spending a few minutes every day alone. 
 

No comments: