Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Flowing

Every moment there is a possibility to be total.  Whatsoever you are doing, be absorbed in it so utterly that the mind thinks nothing, is just there, is just a presence.”
-Osho
 
No matter how much pressure you feel at work, if you could find ways to relax for at least five minutes every hour, you would be more productive.”
-Dr. Joyce Brothers
 
When you are so absorbed in what you are doing that you escape time and space, you are in a state that psychologists call “flow”.  I believe this is a normal state of being for artists.  It can also happen when you are working, when you are playing, or when you are simply doing nothing.  In my world of work, the people who seem to do it the best with minimum effort are people who work intuitively.  In other words, they flow and don’t overthink everything.  It is kind of like driving a car.  When I drive I am focusing on the road.  I do not consciously think about my turn signals, breaks, and gas pedal.  My hands and feet just know what to do.  I do not consciously think about using my turn signal or putting my foot on the break.  I just do it.  I understand that what I am saying may only be true for repetitive actions.  Something new usually requires some intellectual effort initially.  Whether you are flowing or struggling, it is a good thing to occasionally take a break.  An artist may step back and gaze upon their work for a moment or two to contemplate their next hammer blow or paint stroke.  Sometimes your brain needs to catch up with your body or vice versa and who among us doesn’t need to occasionally stop and catch our breath?  I know when I am work I need to occasionally walk around the office to clear my head and get my blood pumping.  Work without breaks can easily turn into work that will need to be done over because it didn’t flow the first time around.  Being in the moment means to also be one with whatever you are doing.  It may be a work of art or more likely one of the mundane tasks of daily life.        
 

No comments: