Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Addictions

Here's a thought from the Tao that I really like...
 
The mind that turns ever outward will have no end to craving.  Only the mind turned inward will find a still point of peace.
 
Most, if not all, that drives us, whether is ambition, greed, desire for food or other comforts, materialism, or whatever, is nothing more than a desire and need to fill some type of emptiness within ourselves.  We all suffer from this to some extent.  Most of us are not alcoholics or drug addicts but we still have addictions.  I think I have an addiction to buying music.  I have approximately 2,500 CD's and you would think that would last me for the rest of my life.  However, over the weekend I received a large box set of music from one of my favorite bands.  For the curious, the band is Pink Floyd.  Enjoying music is a legitimate pleasure but I know I am also obsessed with collecting CD's and it is a veiled attempt to fill some type of emptiness in my life.  I have also read that our different personalities are also created by a deep need that aches to be fulfilled.  It may be the need to be perfect, the need to be successful, or the need to be seen as "special".  The Tao is telling us that everything we need is within us.  Minds that are always turned outward, away from our center, will be on a ceaseless journey that will not satisfy our cravings or  needs and we will never find the inner peace that most of us want.  The famous psychologist, Carl Jung, said "He who looks outside, dreams.  He who looks inside, awakens".  Until you look inside and awaken to the greatness of who you are, you will never find an end to craving and you will never have inner peace.

No comments: