Thursday, May 12, 2016

Appreciation Is A Great Motivator

A person who feels appreciated will always do more than expected”.
-A Facebook meme
 
I thought I would take a break from the mindfulness quotes and use a meme I saw on Facebook.  It refers to a very simple gesture that is not always followed by people.  Appreciating people and what they do, whether it be at home or in the office, is a very basic form of kindness.  It is not that difficult to be nice, kind, grateful, and appreciative.  It is also not beyond the ability of any human being to do these things.  Any success I’ve had in life is due to me trying to do these things wherever I am.  When I feel appreciated it puts wind in my sails.  When I am not appreciated or I am taken for granted, all I am motivated to do is the minimum requirement.  I am getting old.  I’m tired and a little cranky sometimes.  My tolerance for mind games, office politics, exaggerated egos, people being jerks, and all other forms of BS is pretty much zero.  This is anywhere I go and not just in the workplace.  All of these things make life difficult and unpleasant.  Do you want to increase well-being and productivity in your workplace?  Treat you people very well and show them appreciation.  Occasionally you may need to point an individual in a new direction but if you are kind, compassionate, and appreciative, people will works their butts off for you and be happy to do it.  Sincere appreciation may be the highest form of motivation.    

No comments: