Thursday, February 19, 2015

Do It For The Joy Of It

In whatever you so, don’t expect to get anything back, don’t expect recognition for your efforts, don’t expect your genius to be discovered or your love to be understood.  Do it for the joy of doing it, or otherwise it is just another ego trip.
-Dharma
 
I read the above quote this morning and it really hit home.  Who among us doesn’t occasionally feel unappreciated or taken for granted.  I know that sometimes I wonder why I even make the effort to write these daily thoughts.  I try to put a lot of thought and effort into them and I share them with many people in a variety of ways.  Most days, however, I get no response or feedback of any kind from anyone.  My ego wants everyone to tell me they’re great and that I’ve changed their life.  On my best days I try to think of my writings as seeds that I plant which I will most likely never see grow.  Most of us are good people who try to do good things for others and who generally care about others.  We give our best and do what we can and much of it goes unnoticed or seems unappreciated.  Sooner or later we realize that we must do what we do simply because it gives us joy or because it is the right thing to do even if we never get any credit, recognition, or appreciation.  Ego is a big thing in our lives.  The desire to be loved and appreciated is equally huge.  Hopefully, we do feel loved and appreciated most of the time whether it be from family, co-workers, friends, or strangers.  Follow your bliss and all that gives you joy.  As St. Augustine once said, way back in the 5th century, “Love and do what you will”.  Do good works and even if there is no immediate gratification, I believe your goodness will come back to you.   

No comments: