Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Complaining Is Wearisome To All

“To hear complaints is wearisome alike to the wretched and the happy”.
-Samuel Johnson
 
I really try not to complain.  My basic approach to life is one of gratitude because I know I have been blessed in many ways.  When I do complain it is usually because I think something is stupid, a waste of time, or has no value that is apparent to me.  When I complain I sometimes become obsessed with whatever I am complaining about.  I know that it sometimes annoys other people and most of the time it wears me out too.  It’s so much better to be happy and content.  Everything in life doesn’t have to be perfect in order to be happy.  However, to be happy one needs to spend some time counting your blessings.  Too often we focus on what’s missing in life and we don’t spend enough time acknowledging the good in our life.  When I avoid the negative it is relatively easy for me to be happy.  Generally, it doesn’t take much to make me happy and I am usually content with whatever is available.  Although I sometimes think I am a complex person, my basic needs are rather simple.  Even though I like nice things I don’t think of myself as a materialistic person.  Happiness is found in direct proportion to our gratitude.  When we are happy and content with life we don’t usually complain.  The less I complain the less I exhaust myself and others and the happier I am.    

No comments: