Monday, July 07, 2014

My Granddaughter's 10th Birthday


Yesterday was my granddaughter’s 10th birthday.  I’m happy to say that she shares a birthday with the Dalai Lama.  Coincidence?   What a decade the last ten years have been for Chloe and me.  It is difficult to remember a time when she was not part of my life.  Being a grandfather has been the most rewarding experience in my life.  I have two sons and I enjoyed them as they were growing up.  I enjoy them even more now that they are men.  Parenthood, however, is a lot of work.  Being a grandparent is pure joy.  Yes, I worry about my granddaughter and the world in which she lives, but most of the time I can totally enjoy being her “Paw Paw”.  After returning home from our recent vacation, she told her Dad that the only thing she would have liked doing more while we were in Florida was to have more time in the pool with me.  She will be coming over this weekend and I thought we would be going to see the new Planet of the Apes movie.  However, she told my wife during her birthday party that she doesn’t want to see it if it has war and violence.  I am happy to know she is non-violent and a lover of peace.  Scratch the ape movie.  We will probably be going to see “How To Train Your Dragon, Part II”.  I still can’t believe that little Chloe is 10 years old.  This means that Paw Paw is ten years OLDER too.  It’s a little more challenging now to carry Chloe on my shoulders.  In ten more years she might be holding my arm to help me walk.      

No comments: