Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Happiness Lost & Found

I almost experienced complete and total happiness yesterday but then I talked myself out of it.  It was the middle of the afternoon and I felt the need for some fresh air and exercise.  I went outside for a walk.  I noticed that the dogwood trees were blooming.  They may have been blooming for a few days and I was asleep at the wheel.  I stood and looked at them for a while and then I continued my walk.  Soon a wonderful aroma came wafting through the air from the grill of the hot dog vendor parked outside my office.  I could feel myself being seduced by the thought of a freshly grilled and piping hot bratwurst.  However, as I was reaching for my wallet to see if I had any money, I returned to reality from my semi-conscious state and I resisted the urge to buy a bratwurst for the simple joy of consuming it.  This is the closest I have been to complete happiness lately and what did I do?  I threw it all away for the sake of health.  I did experience some happiness on Monday.  It was a typical beginning to another work week.  I wasn’t in the mood for work after four days off.  To make it even worse, it rained all day.  I did find some relief in the thought that I was going to get out of work earlier than usual.  As soon as I had that thought, the telephone rang and it was my oldest son saying “Dad, do you think you could pick up Chloe from school today”?  It was a bittersweet moment.  On the one hand it meant driving across town in the pouring rain on a day I thought I would get home early.  On the other hand it was an opportunity to see my granddaughter and that always bring me happiness.  I agreed to pick her up.  When I showed up at her school I hit the school bus and car rider rush hour which must be a daily hell for some parents.  I found my way into the school and quickly located Chloe in the sea of children.  She ran towards me tossing her back pack like a basketball player on the free throw line.  We walked to the car and talked about our day.  After getting in the car I asked her about an argument I had heard she had with her step mom.  She told me her step mom got mad when she rolled her eyes at her after being told to do something.  I told her I understood and that I often did the same thing when her grandma tells me to do something.  It was a true bonding moment for us.  Any time I get to be with my granddaughter is a happy moment for me.  For complete and total happiness I need to have Chloe with me the next time I walk past the hot dog vendor.  Then we can both buy a bratwurst and look at the blooming dogwood trees together.    

No comments: