Monday, March 10, 2014

It Always Smelled Like Bacon

It is another Monday and once again we are back in the dark.  Thank you Daylight Savings Time.  The time change begs for an answer to the question “Does anybody really know what time it is”?  My weekend was full.  In the early morning hours of Saturday, while it was still dark, my granddaughter was dropped off at my home by her Dad on his way to work.  Usually she wakes me up and wants me to immediately get out of bed and go downstairs.  This Saturday was different.  After saying good morning she jumped in my bed and was quickly asleep.  Someone apparently stayed up too late the night before.  Eventually my wife and I got up and went downstairs where I began making breakfast.  Bacon is mandatory when Chloe visits.  Usually the aroma awakens her and she makes her way down the stairs into the kitchen.  I cooked all the bacon and still no Chloe.  I finally had to go upstairs and wake her.  Later on Saturday afternoon we went to the movies and saw “Mr. Peabody and Sherman” in 3D.  Every year when I watch the Oscars the only category where I have seen all the movies is the animated children’s films.  Yes, I have seen “Frozen” and "The Lego Movie.  I love being a grandparent.  Whenever Chloe is around I remember my own childhood and the times I spent the night at my Grandmother’s house.  Whatever kind of person she really was, I thought she was awesome.  Staying at her house was always an adventure.  Since I was part of a large family, it was the only time I got all the attention.  Someday Chloe will think back to all the visits she’s made to my house and she’ll say, “Whenever I went to Meemo and Paw Paw’s house it always smelled like bacon”.   

No comments: