Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Enjoy Your Life

Today is my birthday and I am 63 years old.  Many people hate to reveal how old they are.  I am proud of my age.  I have had a good life, I’ve been blessed in many ways, and I have witnessed many changes and improvements in life.  I came into being in the summer of 1950 and I was born on this day in 1951.  I grew up in idyllic times when life seemed much simpler than it does now.  I came of age in the 1960’s during a time when society went through many changes.  I got married in the early 70’s, raised two son’s in the 80’s and 90’s, became a grandfather in 2004, and now I get senior citizen discounts on most things.  Some people think it is a terrible thing to get older.  I have enjoyed it.  My life is calmer and slower.  I don’t sweat the small stuff and I’ve learned that most things are small stuff.  Each day I become more and more who I really am.  I’m too old for the games people play so I focus on simple living and being happy.  Even though my body is 63 years old, my mind and heart are much younger.  I still love to rock and roll.  I take some pride in the fact that after almost 40 years of marriage my wife still yells at me to turn my music down.  Much of the knowledge I have acquired has turned into wisdom.  My children are now adults and I am proud of the men they have become.  It makes me happy that they like to spend time with me and I don’t mind that they still make fun of me on occasion.  We will have a family dinner on Friday to celebrate my wife’s recent birthday as well as mine.  I better not get stuck with the bill.  Whatever age you are, enjoy your life.  In spite of the struggle, it is worth the effort.  Enjoy birthdays.  It beats the alternative.  Life is a journey and every stage has it’s joys and occasional sorrows.  Embrace your life’s journey.  Every day is a gift and a mystery.  Enjoy unraveling the mystery of your own life.  As far as my life right now, turning 63 feels pretty good.       
 
 

1 comment:

Diane Hughes said...

Happy birthday, Michael. Thanks for the joy and insights you bring through your writing.