Monday, July 29, 2013

The Yin and Yang

Last night I slept in my bed for the first time in over a week.  It was wonderful.  I have a whole new appreciation for it.  I am sure most of you have been sick or injured or have taken care of a sick or injured person.  The nights are always the worst.  For the last week or so my wife and I have been living on the first floor of our home and sleeping in our chairs.  Occasionally I moved over to the couch.  Life being what it is I am taller than the couch is long.  The nights have seemed eternal and I feel like I’ve been living a Twilight Zone existence.  The one part of this that I have enjoyed is when morning finally arrived.  As soon as daylight appeared I headed to the kitchen to make coffee and breakfast for my wife and me.  She loved being served although I didn’t get any tips.  I loved the simplicity of sitting in my chair sipping my coffee, enjoying the silence for a while, and then watching the morning news.  After a while I would clean up the kitchen and any other messes, maybe do some laundry, give my wife her daily medicine, and read the morning newspaper before cleaning myself up a bit.  As with most situations that are done long enough, one tends to establish a routine.  I can’t help myself in that regard as I am a creature of habit and routine.  This experience also gives me a sneak preview of what the future may hold as my wife and I continue to age.  It has been a little challenging for me and it certainly has been for my wife who is generally a mover and a shaker.  It is also a reminder to enjoy the moments of life when all is good.  Sooner or later life will throw you a curve ball and provide you with a challenge.  It’s the yin and yang of life.    

No comments: