Thursday, July 18, 2013

Getting Older

Thursday is the workday when I start to run out of gas.  When I come into the office on Friday I am running on fumes.  When I get home on Friday night my mind is thinking “Let’s party”!  Then my body responds, “Are you out of your mind”!  Most young people think it must be terrible to get old.  That’s not really true.  I like being the age I am.  When one acquires some age you tend to mellow out, be more laid back, things don’t upset you as much as they did in the past, and you are more relaxed in your living.  My chief complaints about aging are a diminishment of energy, strength, and endurance.  In other words, I can’t do all the things I used to do.  I get tired more easily, manual labor is more challenging, and I can’t run all day and night.  When I was young I had lots of energy, weekends were spent running the streets and howling at the moon, and I was physically strong.  Now I am happy just to be home.  I prefer a simple life with little activity.  My mantra is “Isn’t it great to do nothing all day and then to rest afterwards”.  Even though life slows down, it doesn’t lose its appeal.  If anything one begins to live more intentionally because life becomes more precious.  One begins to look more for depth in life.  You have less time and patience for non-essentials.  You realize the time is a gift that should not be wasted.  We should all remember this regardless of our age.         

No comments: