Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Anticipation

I am the kind of person that likes to always have something to anticipate. It may be a big event like my son’s ordination or the upcoming appearance by the Dalai Lama. It can also be as simple as scheduling a day off in the middle of the work week. For months I have been looking forward to the events mentioned above as well as the visit of an old friend. These events, which seemed so far in the future several months ago, are beginning today and over the next week or so. Most of our lives are ordinary days and if you cannot find joy on a Tuesday, you probably won’t find it on a Saturday night either. I am fine with the ordinary and I almost thrive in boredom. Still, I find it nice to always have something to look forward to on my calendar. Anticipation is a great feeling. Occasionally it is better than the experience of what you were anticipating. The feeling of anticipation, the sudden arrival of the anticipated, and the realization that all events pass quickly, remind me to be in the moment. Don’t rush life. Savor it and enjoy it. Don’t get caught up rushing from one experience to another. Look forward to your life but don’t forget to enjoy it as it unfolds. Life is like the experience of taking something out of a package. Once it is out of the bag, it is almost impossible to put back into the bag in its original condition. We don’t get many opportunities to do life over. Be in the moment, enjoy the moment, and then look forward to the next moment.




No comments: