Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Feeling Adrift

If you don’t know where you are going, any road will take you there.
-Musician George Harrison

Many of us have times in our life when we feel adrift. I am having one of those times in my life right now. I recently told my book editors that sometimes I struggle with topics to write about because I seem to be having fewer experiences in my life that feed my writing. I also don’t read as much as I used to and books have always fueled my mind. One month from today I will be 62 years old. This time of my life certainly feels transitional. Things I used to care about I no longer care about and this void has not yet been filled with anything new. The desire to publish a book gives me some purpose but on a typical day I feel like I am only going through the motions. Too much of my life is simply routine. Many people around me, who are mostly young people, can still measure many parts of their lives in single digits, i.e., their years with the company, their marriages, the age of their children, etc. Most of my life is measured by decades. Many of us fear change. We hate when we don’t see it coming or it is undesirable when it arrives. Yet, in times of transition, one sometimes longs for positive and self chosen change. Perhaps what feels like drift is really no more than some roads coming to an end and new roads have not yet revealed themselves. Unfortunately there is no GPS for life. Whatever road one is on, you must find your own way to the end of it. Sometimes life is like driving along a poorly marked road at night in heavy fog. A GPS would be great so you know where you are, where you are going, how long it will take to get there, and when you should turn left or right. Life, however, is not that simple or easy. Whatever road you are on make sure you have plenty of gas and that you don’t drive into a ditch.



No comments: