Friday, January 04, 2013

Growing Younger

A new friend, with whom I felt a deep connection almost immediately, gave me a book for Christmas called “Age Doesn’t Matter Unless You’re A Cheese”. It is a collection of sayings that were all written by people over sixty years old. The book is right up my alley. I told my friend the book would very likely inspire many of my own daily thoughts. Her response was, “Why do you think I bought you the book”! I love it whenever people think of me and especially when they give me things that have some thought behind them.
Here is today’s thought from my new book.

“I suppose real old age begins when one looks backward rather than forward”.
-May Sarton

I haven’t made any New Year’s resolutions this year although I do have one big goal. However, there is one thing I really want to avoid and that is acting old. When one’s chronological age is in the range that I am now it is easy to slip into an old age mentality. This year I really want to be resistant to that. Coming to work every day helps because I am surrounded by many younger people. It is also helpful to be a body in motion rather than a body at rest. Everyone is familiar with the basic law of physics that says “ a body in motion tends to stay in motion while a body at rest tends to stay at rest”. This is challenging for me because I have a sedentary job that often drains my brain and causes me to dream of my couch. One way or another I need to be a body in motion. Another thing for me to avoid is day dreaming and spacing out. I know I have written a lot about mindfulness and being in the moment but it is still no easier for me than it is for many other people. Multi-tasking and being over stimulated with various forms of media contribute to my fatigue and dissipation. I need to live more intentionally and purposefully. I hope my desire and goal to publish a book this year gives me more focus. Looking forward, I hope to be younger in my thinking, more active if only by walking more, and more purpose driven and less spaced out in my day dreaming.

I did crank up “Jumpin' Jack Flash” by the Rolling Stones on the radio this morning as soon as my wife got out of the car so I guess there’s still hope for me.










No comments: