Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Long Night

Last night was a weird night. When I went to bed everything seemed normal. I slept for a few hours before nature’s call awakened me. I got out of my warm bed and walked to the bathroom. When I got back to my bed I was wide awake. I glanced at my clock and it was about 3:30 AM. I thought about my friends in the monastery who were up and assembled in their church reciting their nightly Psalms in a service called Vigils. Back in the day I was right there with them. I started thinking about other vigils in my life like midnight feedings and diaper changes with my children that I also relived with my granddaughter. I thought about death vigils with dying parents. I finally fell asleep and had some really bizarre dreams involving people who would never be a room together in real life. These dreams were not nightmares but still somewhat disturbing. I was happy when my alarm finally went off. There was an old police drama on television many years ago that began every episode with “There are a thousand stories in the naked city and this is one of them”. Last night seemed like one of those stories and today I feel like I am in a fog. Let’s hope for a quiet and peaceful day.








No comments: