Friday, October 26, 2012

My Life

There is a creeping malaise in my life that looks like boredom. The weekend is here. On the way to work this morning I asked my wife what we were doing this weekend. She replied, “I want to go to Denny’s for dinner because I’m in the mood for a club sandwich. Tomorrow I want to drive to the J.C. Penney’s Outlet to look at blankets”. I thought to myself, “Really??? This is my weekend? Has my life come to this"?  This makes going to the Mall seem like a drunken orgy. My entire life seems to be slowing down. My life as a rock and roll road warrior has been in decline for years. Most of my rocking is now down in my Lazy Boy chair. I have books everywhere I sit but it takes me forever to read them. I can fall asleep listening to AC/DC. Outside of the work day the most exciting things I do are go to the Kroger pharmacy for my monthly meds, load the dishwasher, and do the laundry. Occasionally when I am feeling wild and crazy I will go outside and feed the squirrels. There was a time I was involved in more activities outside of work and home. I let all of those go. I just ran out of energy and desire. Every Thursday morning one of my co-workers asks, “Did you make it to your Buddhist meditation last night”? Sadly, most of the time I must reply, “No, I didn’t make it”. I was probably doing some horizontal meditation on my couch. I must find an antidote for this malaise. If this is all part of the aging process I don’t want to give in to it. My life has to be more than a club sandwich at Denny’s or a trip to the J.C. Penney’s Outlet to look at blankets. 

No comments: