Friday, September 14, 2012

We're All In This Together

Yesterday I was involved in several conversations that reminded me that all of us have burdens, challenges, and “crosses to bear”. Today I am feeling a little out of sorts myself. I always try cut every person I meet a little slack because I never know what that person may be going through that day or in their life. You can never go wrong by being kind. This morning I was reading a chapter from “Wherever You Go, There You Are” by Jon Kabat Zinn on the idea of giving. Most of us have heard about stewardship and the idea of giving your time, talent, or treasure. Some days, however, we may feel that we have none of these to give. There are other ways to give to those around us. We can give a kind word, a smile, or a hug. Sometimes that all we have and sometimes that’s all another really needs. Life is difficult for all of us and some days are harder than others. The challenges and burdens of youth are eventually exchanged for the challenges and burdens of old age. Often by the end of a day we feel overwhelmed. I once read, however, that the problems of the evening seem much less challenging in the morning. I was reminded of this today as I drove to work and I was lost in the beauty of the morning sky. I don’t know what problems or challenges await me in coming weeks and months but I do look forward to the beauty of winter sunrises. Think about how you feel today and remember that most others feel the same or even worse. Be kind, give everyone a smile, and if a family member, friend, or co-worker needs a hug, give it to them. We are all together in this thing called life.









No comments: