Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Existential Angst

I’ve done too many things in life simply because I believed it was expected. In general, I have played by the rules and done the “right things”. Most of my life I have been reasonably content even when my circumstances didn’t seem supportive of any contentment. I think I was able to find some contentment in most circumstances because it generally doesn’t take much too please me and most of the time I am grateful for anything good that comes my way. In the midst of my contentment I have experienced some truly joyful moments. What I have not experienced in abundance is overall happiness. Perhaps my expectations of life and people are too great. There have been too many situations and circumstances that simply were little more than tolerable to me. Part of the problem is my own worldview. I am a dreamer and a romantic and much of life is not dreamy or romantic. Although I do not consider myself a poet, I tend to look at life with poetic eyes. I know I am too sensitive. Sometimes I wonder if I am even capable of sustained happiness. Many people would love the life I have. I must admit, however, that the life I have was never the life I dreamed of having. Getting married, having children, and living in a house with a white picket fence, was never a life I wanted to have. It all seemed way too ordinary for a dreamer and a romantic like me. What happiness I have experienced is due to me finding meaning and joy in unexpected moments and places. For this ability I am grateful for my sensitive nature and discerning eye. I call this “finding the extraordinary within the ordinary”. I also think this is due to being a contemplative person. In moments of spiritual wakefulness I am able to see past life’s disappointments and I can find meaning in my life. However, there are those that think that if you have to look for meaning in your life, there probably isn’t any. Some believe the meaning in your life should be obvious. Of course, I know all of this is nothing but existential angst, a malady suffered by most people from time to time. How do you feel? Is your life meaningful to you or are you constantly trying to find the meaning within it?


No comments: