Friday, June 15, 2012

Being Yourself

There have been times in my life when I was accused of being weird. I do think I am a little weird sometimes. However, I don’t think I’m weird in a scary way. It’s more a “he’s different” kind of weird. I must admit that I am not always comfortable being around other people. As a very serious introvert I live much of life in my own inner world. I do things that help me cope with life or things that make me happy and, as my father-in-law used to say, “I approve of everything I do”. Recently I’ve done a couple of things that I’m sure some people would consider weird. I have my cell phone programmed to chime three times a day and flash a message that says “Be Mindful”. The intent is to bring me back to my center throughout my work day when I am often distracted and all over the place mentally. Another weird thing I have done is create a playlist on my iPod called “Autobiographical Songs”. This is a collection of songs whose lyrics, melody, or mood say something about who I am, how I am, or how I want to be. A perceptive person could listen to these songs and get a fairly good idea of the kind of person I am. I would prefer these songs to be played at my funeral rather than “On Eagle’s Wings”, a song I think I’ve heard at every funeral I ever attended and a song that makes me crazy.  The worlds we create for ourselves, whether it be an autobiographical song list or the way we decorate a favorite room, tell a lot about who we are. If any of you saw my personal room at home, I don’t think you would be surprised at the décor. My music, my room, and my writing is who I am and if I am a little weird, so be it. My granddaughter loves it. She thinks I’m silly and as she once told me when she was a young child, “Paw Paw, your house is like magic. That’s why I never get sleepy when I am here”.








No comments: