Monday, March 26, 2012

My Birthday

I am currently sitting at home in my “Mancave” waiting on a repairman, for the second time, to fix my still almost new refrigerator. You’ve probably heard the statement “they don’t make them like they used to”. I think that might be a true statement. Let’s hope I receive world class service when he gets here.

Today is my birthday. I am sixty one year’s old. I don’t feel this old although my granddaughter told me over the weekend that my white beard makes me look like a “Paw Paw”. I believe it was the famous baseball player Satchiel Paige that said, “Age is mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it don’t matter”. Admittedly, I have a few aches and pains that I didn’t have, or didn’t notice, when I was younger. Someone once said that inside every old person is a young person who wonders what the hell happened. I think there’s a lot of truth to that statement. Although my body is sixty one year’s old, in my mind I am only twenty five years old and I have the immature behavior to prove it. Young people might find this difficult to understand but aging isn’t all bad. I actually have enjoyed growing older and, in some ways, I feel like I am in the prime of my life. I’m probably smarter and wiser than I’ve ever been although I am also probably more forgetful. I still love rock and roll like I did when I was a teenager although I don’t jump around as much when I go to a rock concert. Actually I’m pretty impressed with myself that at age sixty one I still go to rock concerts. My best friend from high school, who’s the same age as me, is much the same. We’ve got tickets to see Roger Waters of Pink Floyd at the Yum Center in June. We will hobble in together. The best thing about being my age is that I am still alive. The second best thing is that I am a grandfather. My granddaughter, Chloe, has improved and expanded my life in ways I never could have imagined. It has also been great to see my children grow up and become decent human beings. At age sixty one I am not in a big hurry anymore. It’s easier to be in the moment. Sometimes I get lost in the moment because I don’t know where I am. The one downside of aging, besides having more years behind you than in front of you, is the lack of energy. I am getting tired just writing these thoughts. It’s 9:14 AM and I already feel the need for a nap. Since I am at home, maybe I will do that while the guy fixes my refrigerator.

No comments: