Friday, March 16, 2012

Life Is Moving On

In my living room my wife and I have one of those electronic picture frames that contains several hundred pictures from our family’s life. The pictures change every few seconds and they do this twenty four hours a day. However, it seems like every time I actually look at the frame it is always showing the same picture. In the movie “Groundhog Day” the actor Bill Murray seems to be living the same day over and over and over. I’ve also noticed in my daily life that I even seem to see the same strangers every day at the same time doing the same thing. It is very easy to think and believe that life never changes but we all know that it does. My two sons are no longer little boys. They are grown men. People are always asking me, “How old is your granddaughter now”? When I tell them they usually reply, “No way”! When I look in the mirror I see my father with a beard. I was in my 30’s when I began working for my employer and now I am in my 60’s. For a life that never seems to change, much has. Is all this a bad thing? It all depends. If you’ve gone from point A in your life to point B and you can’t remember any of the journey in between, that might be a problem. As I’ve said many times, I try to practice mindfulness so I am awake and present to the moment and I can tell when the current moment moves to the next moment. I write these reflections so I can remember the moments of my life that have passed. Someday my granddaughter and other members of my family can go back and read my stories and they will remember events and occasions long forgotten. My advice to everyone is this. Slow down and pay attention to your life. Write it down. Remember it. If you’re in a rut, climb out. If you always turn right, turn left once in a while. If an opportunity arises to do something different, do it. Drive home a different way. Occasionally go out in your yard in the middle of the night and look at the stars. You won't regret it.

No comments: