Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I Love Music

I’m keeping it light today. I will not write about the true self or the false self or anything deep. Today I will write about one of my true loves. I love music. Music is an important part of my life. Music is to my soul like blood and oxygen are to my body. I cannot imagine a life without music. It is far more than just entertainment for me. It’s part of who I am. I love all kinds of music. I love Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach. I also love Muddy Waters and John Lee Hooker. My favorite jazz artist of all time is Miles Davis. I even love Gregorian chant when the mood strikes me. My true love, however, is rock and roll. I was about twelve years old when I went to my first concert. It was the original Beach Boys. I was thirteen years old when the Beatles were on the old Ed Sullivan show. The Beatles were the soundtrack of my teen age years. When I got married in my early 20’s I sometimes drove my wife crazy with my musical obsessions. My mother said to her, “Don’t worry, he’ll get over it. It’s just a stage he going through”. Well, I am a 61 year old aging hippie who is a Deadhead and I am still not over it. Sometimes my wife still says, “Will you please turn that down”! Music is still a stage for me. In fact, I have stood before many stages in many places and I have seen most of my musical heroes perform live. I still get excited when I see someone walk out on a stage and plug in an electric guitar. I told someone once that if I die and go to Heaven, and there’s no music there, I’ll have to leave.

No comments: