Monday, February 06, 2012

Down And Out

Like most people I was in a great mood this past Friday when the work day ended. I picked up my wife at her office and we headed for a restaurant that we had never been to before. As I was getting out of the car to enjoy what I hoped would be a good meal it happened again. One very small move on my part caused my back to go out again. I knew I was in trouble the moment I realized what I had done. By Saturday morning I was hobbling around like I was 90 years old. I was not happy. Later in the day on Saturday my granddaughter came over for her weekly visit. I knew she would want me to “play the game”. This involves me getting on the floor and playing make believe with all her dolls and toys and stuffed animals. I told her that I hurt my back and I didn’t think I could get on the floor. She immediately gathered up all the pillows in my room and stacked them up. She looked at me and said, “Paw Paw, now you can lean your back on these pillows”. Since I didn’t want to disappoint her I got down on the floor. Getting down was not a problem. However, I wouldn’t want a YouTube video of me getting up from the floor to be posted on the internet. As one gets older there is an increase of aches and pains. Sometimes it does not take much to bring you to a screeching halt. The last time I threw my back out it took six weeks to get back to normal. The older I get the more I appreciate feeling good. When old people complain about their health and how they feel, and when they tell young people “if you don’t have your health, you’ve got nothing”, they’re telling you the truth. Hopefully this incident won’t take six weeks to overcome. At the moment, however, I am moving a little slow.

No comments: