Thursday, February 09, 2012

Breathing

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I am trying to be more aware of my breath. Most of us rarely thinking about our breathing unless we are having a problem with it. I know a number of adults and children who suffer from Asthma. I am certain breathing is always on their minds. Breath is life. Some spiritual teachings refer to God as our breath. When we are breathing we are alive. My wife and I have lost three of our parents. I was with all of them when they died. None of them seemed to be suffering as they passed away. What happened was they all slowly let go of their breath. Deep breathing will calm us when we feel some minor anxiety. Controlled breathing, using our diaphragm, in conjunction with a mantra or prayer word, can quiet our restless minds and bring a sense of relaxation to our stressed out bodies. Regular meditation, preferably twice a day, is like exercise for the soul. Of course, breathing and meditation are not solely intended just to bring a sense of calm into our lives. The deeper purpose of meditation is to make us more aware. I recently read that there is no absence of God in our lives, regardless of how it often feels. What is absent is our awareness of God all around us. Meditation is also a kind of prayer. When most people think of prayer they think of it as talking to God. Meditation is more about listening than talking. The use of a mantra or prayer word is only a means to keep our restless and wandering minds under reasonable control. When we are meditating we are in a listening and receptive stance. We are like an empty cup that is waiting to be filled.

No comments: