Thursday, January 26, 2012

Thinking About My Health

I’ve got to be honest about something even though I don’t like to complain. I get really tired of having to think about my health all the time. Yes, I know I am older and I am not the man I used to be. I expect to be in some decline. I can accept that even if I am not happy about it. I am a Type II diabetic. I’m not sure how much that is my own fault and how much of it is the genes I inherited. I take five prescriptions a day, I give myself two insulin shots a day, and I also take one aspirin a day for my heart. Once a month I get a B-12 shot. The other night I picked up my wife at her office and we began our evening commute home. We were both very tired and couldn’t wait to get home. My wife suggested that we stop at McDonald’s for a quick meal. Normally I try to avoid McDonald’s but I do eat there sometimes. Whenever I am in there I think the health police are going to bust me, throw me in a dungeon, and send an email to my health insurance company telling them I had a Big Mac. I don’t drink except for the rare import beer. I don’t take or use illegal drugs. I gave up smoking my pipe many years ago even though I loved doing it and I still cannot bear to part with the collection of hand carved pipes that I collected over the years. The closest thing to a vice that I have left is my love of high quality caffeinated coffee. I try to walk as much as I can every day and to avoid as much as possible all the great and wonderful food that co-workers bring into the office. I am not a health nut but I don’t live recklessly either. I just find it exhausting to think about my health every minute of the day and every time I put some food in my mouth. Admittedly, my issues have made me more health conscious and I suppose that’s a good thing. However, it also takes a lot of enjoyment out of life. It would be nice to not have to think about it so much. OK, I feel a little better now having said all of this.

No comments: