Monday, January 16, 2012

Martin Luther King's Birthday


I was sleeping deeply on Saturday morning when my granddaughter jumped into my bed at 7:30 AM after her Dad dropped her off on his way to work. At 7:31 AM she said, “Let’s go downstairs and play, Paw Paw”. Wearily, I crawled out of my warm bed and we went downstairs. I made some coffee and we talked about what cousins and aunts and uncles were. Chloe is always interested in family. We played until Granny got out of bed, then we went to McDonald’s for breakfast. Later in the afternoon we went to see Alvin and the Chipmunk’s in “Chipwrecked”. Eventually we met up with Dad who surprised Chloe with a trip to the pet store. In the picture above you can see what they brought home.

Today is Martin Luther King’s birthday. I have always admired Martin Luther King and I believe his “I Have A Dream” speech is one of history’s great and most eloquent speeches. Once on a trip to Washington, D.C. I visited the Lincoln Memorial and I stood on the spot where this speech was delievered. I looked towards the Washington monument, across the reflecting pool, closed my eyes, and tried to imagine that day in 1963 when King gave this speech. I imagined all the people who were there and whose hopes were encouraged. We’ve come a long way since those days but we still have quite a way to go.

No comments: