Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Finding Yourself Along The Way

This week I made my 1000th entry on my personal blog. When I tentatively posted my first “Daily Thoughts” on my blog back in 2006 I had no idea what impact they would have on anyone. Since that time thousands of people from around the world have read them. Over the years I have received some touching emails and interesting comments from complete strangers who connected with something I wrote. People sometimes talk about "finding themselves". It actually happens. When I was about 50 years old I began to have a realization of who I was, why I acted the way I did, and why I felt the way I do. It took a lot of what some call "inner work" to come to this realization. It was a real awakening for me. I would love to tell you that such self-knowledge makes all your problems and issues go away but it doesn't. What it does is give you some knowledge and skill to deal with your dysfunctions and inadequacies as well as help you recognize your gifts as a person. Sometime after this experience of personal enlightenment I began to realize that I had a gift for writing. It was my granddaughter that brought the gift to my awareness. For a number of years I used to share motivational and inspirational quotes with friends and co-workers. After my granddaughter was born I wrote a short story about the first time my wife and I kept her overnight when she was just three weeks old. People loved the story and encouraged me to write more. My real life stories soon included my everyday thoughts, reflections, and musings. The more I wrote the more I was encouraged by others. Much of my life I am around people younger than myself. They are often filled with existential angst about their lives. I encourage them as best I can to walk the path of their life and to remember that “the journey is the destination”. I encourage all of you to do the same. Along the way you will have your own moments of enlightenment where you will find yourself and discover your gifts.

No comments: