Thursday, December 01, 2011

Wasted Energy

Reflect on this teaching about transformation today: "We are given more than enough energy to transform ourselves every day, but we waste 98 percent of it on tensions, on emotional reactions unrelated to what is actually occurring, and on daydreaming and mental chatter."
From “The Wisdom of the Enneagram”

Isn’t this the truth! I like to believe that I try to be a good person. I want to be the best version of myself that I can be. The reality is that most days I feel some kind of tension, my emotions are all over the place, reality is skewed by my illusions, and my mind is full of daydreams and endless chatter. I want to be centered, balanced, and present to the moment but many days I feel totally dysfunctional. I always laugh to myself when people think I have it all together. It is difficult to be an emotionally healthy person. We all have many life experiences, some of which may have been traumatic. Most of us suppress uncomfortable feelings. All of us have hidden wounds that we may not even be aware exist. I’m of the opinion that everyone could use some therapy. I certainly don’t have all the answers. What can really be helpful, that doesn’t include a copay, is learning to let go of the many hurts and slights that all of us experience in our lives. Whenever I feel slighted, hurt, or misunderstood I try to imagine what the other person is going through in their life. I assume that like myself, everyone around me is doing the best they can. As I get older I think I am getting more tolerant, not only of my own weaknesses, but also the weaknesses of others. I forgive myself and others more. I try to be positive and grateful for everything. I appreciate the small joys of life and I try not to allow myself to be overwhelmed with my own struggles.

No comments: