Monday, December 05, 2011

The Simple Things

Last night, as the rain poured down outside, I was sitting in a comfortable chair, in my warm house, drinking a cup of decaf coffee, while watching some favorite television shows. I was reminded once again how much the simple things in life make me happy. At this stage of my life I have everything I need and everything I want. When someone asks me what I want for Christmas I struggle to think of anything. Anything I do receive as a gift will just be more of something I already have. I have read that life is divided into two parts. In the first half of life we are raising families, building careers, and accumulating material goods. In the second half of life we are slowing down, letting go, and turning more inward. I am more interested these days in the quality of my life than in the quantity of my life. The simple things, and the simple life, are what’s attractive to me now.

No comments: