Monday, December 19, 2011

Christmas Emotions

I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that it’s the week before Christmas. The bad news is that it’s the week before Christmas. Christmas is a strange holiday. For some it’s “the most wonderful time of the year”. For others, it’s the saddest time of the year. Either way, most people have too much to do, too little time to do it, and the money is probably stretched pretty thin, too. We have office lunches to attend, maybe a party or two, many family obligations, and for many people going to church is part of the equation. On top of all the busyness and stress, there is the expectation to feel joyful. All of Christmas’s demands and expectations are a pretty tall order. I admit that I am someone who often struggles with all of this, especially the forced joyfulness. I have a thousand reasons to feel blessed but sometimes I just want Christmas to be over. The best part of Christmas for me is seeing the excitement on the face of my granddaughter. Most of the rest just seems like work. However you feel about it, be kind to yourself and others this week. If you are joyful, spread the joy. If you are sad, I can assure you that you are not alone. If you are stressed, breathe deeply and chill out. Everything doesn’t have to be perfect. As we go through this work week, try to relax and enjoy whatever activities are around you. Be sensitive to the feelings of others. Lower your expectations and be present to the moment for whatever it is.

No comments: