Thursday, October 20, 2011

Zen Day In The Country

I took a day off from work yesterday and had a Zen day. This does not mean that I sat around all day in the lotus position thinking deep thoughts. I have a friend that is a retired priest who lives as a hermit near the monastery. We get together about once a month for breakfast and deep conversation. We also have some conversation that is not so deep. My friend is one of the funniest people I have ever known and any time I spend with him will involve a lot of laughing. Yesterday was a Zen day because I spent the day enjoying each moment as it unfolded. It began with taking my wife to work, jumping into the morning commute as I escaped the downtown area, and eventually settling into a serene early morning drive through the countryside. When I got to my friend’s house we decided to have breakfast at the new Cracker Barrel in Bardstown. Yesterday was a cold and wet day so it was wonderful to enjoy a breakfast feast in front of a roaring fire. Afterwards we visited an ailing monk in the local hospital. Later we returned to his home where we warmed up from the cold and rain and settled into some engaging conversation. I need days like this where I can step away from my normal routine to re-calibrate my life a little. Father Dennis is not only my friend, he is a mentor, spiritual advisor, and a surrogate big brother. I feel fortunate to have such a person in my life.

No comments: