Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Seasons Of Life

I’m loving the current weather in my part of the world. After another brutal summer the cooler temperatures are more than welcome and the breezes blowing in the open windows of my home are quite refreshing. Autumn is my favorite time of the year and it always has been. I feel like I come to life in autumn. This is ironic since autumn is a time of dying. Of course, this time of dying is also a time of harvest. I am already looking forward to taking my granddaughter to Huber’s Orchard to wander through the pumpkin fields. I also feel a sense of oneness with autumn. It is easy for me to see my life as a reflection of the seasons. As a sixty year old I feel like I am in the autumn of my life. Don’t misunderstand me or think that I am obsessed with death. I love life and I don’t feel like I am dying even though the poet/songwriter Bob Dylan sings, “Those not busy being born are busy dying.” Autumn is a time when the fullness and lushness of summer recedes in preparation for the coming winter months. In terms of my life autumn is more a season of harvest. After many years of living and the passing of many seasons I believe I am closer than ever to being able to look in the mirror and see the person I really am and not just a reflection of who I think I am or who I want to be. The harvest is good and I like who I see in the mirror. In the time of harvest we reap our true self from the seeds of false selves and illusions planted in the spring of our lives. What is the season of your life?

No comments: