Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Workday Naps

Yesterday I started running out of gas at approximately the same time that I do every work day. Some of this is my own fault. I stay up too late, get up too early, and most evenings I take a nap whether I want to or not. When I take these early evening naps it often makes falling asleep later a difficult chore. In order to revive myself I decided to go outside for some fresh air. When I am at work I tend to keep my nose to the grindstone. Work ethic aside, I need to get out of my chair at least once an hour to stretch and get the blood pumping. If I don’t I feel like the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz in search of his oil can. What I really want to talk about, however, is how much I would love to take an afternoon power nap for about 15-20 minutes during my afternoon work break. Such a nap would be greatly enhanced if there was anywhere in my building where I could sit in a soft chair and be undisturbed. Unless they are hidden away in offices somewhere there are no soft chairs available to the average worker. My desk chair needs a pillow for my under-padded behind, the break room chairs are hard, and the benches in our park are made of century old bricks. My vision would be a room kind of like the teacher’s lounge back in my high school days. It would be a room with about ten Lazy Boy chairs and lots of silence. You could go in there on your breaks and lunches, sit in peace, and close your eyes for 15-20 minutes. Of course, we would probably need bouncers to throw out people exceeding their time limit. It’s a proven fact that afternoon siesta’s improve afternoon productivity. If this perk cannot be provided to me by my company then I need them to provide free and unlimited Starbuck’s Dark Roast coffee with the occasional sugar free vanilla latte thrown in just to show they really do want to enhance my well-being and productivity.

No comments: