Monday, August 29, 2011

Showing Up

Someone once told me that 80% of success is showing up. What does that mean? I think “showing up” means being faithful to the commitments, obligations, and demands of your daily life. Admittedly, showing up is sometimes all I can do. Today, for example, is a another Monday. After a weekend of sleeping in, being with my granddaughter, chilling out, taking naps, and doing only what I wanted, I’m not full of enthusiasm for another work week. However, I’ve been showing up at my office most Mondays for the last 25 years. In addition, I’ve awakened every morning for the last 37 years and seen the same face on the other side of the bed. In many other ways I have strived to be successful in life by dealing with whatever is in front of me at any particular moment. It might be an unhappy co-worker, a granddaughter who wants me to get on the floor and play with her even though my legs are stiff and my back hurts, a chore that I don’t want to do, someone invading my personal space, or any myriad of things. I wish success in life was just as simple as showing up and being faithful. A big part of life is also dealing with doubt. Sometimes I wonder, “Do I even want to show up?” Other times I think, “I’m tired of all these people and their demands and needs. I wish people would just leave me alone.” I’ve learned that success is not only showing up when it’s fun or enjoyable. It's also showing up when you don't want to or when your mind is full of doubt.

No comments: