Friday, July 30, 2010

Awesome Things Volume XXVI

A small break in the heat. A cool front started coming in earlier this week. This summer has been so hot that 89 degrees seems like a cool day. So far it has been over 90 degrees more than 40 days. Quite frankly, I am over it. I try my best not to complain but a string of days in the mid 80's would be welcome. So, I am enjoying this "cool" day. The rest of the week will be in the 90's. I am also grateful for the rain that has watered my flowers, bushes, and lawn.

Early mornings at work. My favorite time of the workday is early morning when I first arrive. It's generally quiet and the busyness of the day isn't in full force. I am at my best early in the morning. By late afternoon I am dragging. I enjoy "crunching the numbers" to see where we are with our work and what we accomplished the previous day. Sometimes I am racking my brain for "Today's Awesome Thing". I am racking my brain at this very moment. Early mornings are peaceful. I am a creature of habit so those around me can set their watches based on my routines. Early mornings at work make me very grateful for the co-workers I have and the pleasant environment in which I work.

Reliving a great experience. About a month I attended an all day music festival in Chicago. The whole thing was filmed and recorded for a DVD release in the fall. Last night, however, at the Tinsel Town theaters there was a one time showing of a two hour movie with highlights from the festival. It brought back lots of memories of that day and the music was great. Since the reality of the festival was that I sat on metal bleachers and the heat index was 105 degrees, it was really awesome to watch the movie in an air conditioned theater.

Eating healthy. I've been trying to get more fruit into my diet so last night I shared a banana split with my granddaughter. Hopefully the bananas, strawberries, and pineapple will contribute to my ongoing efforts to live a healthier lifestyle.

Sleep. Most people, including me, are sleep deprived. Thursdays are the day I start running out of gas. By Friday I am running on fumes. I'm really tired right now. Tuesday night my wife and I were out on the streets till almost 10:00 PM! Most nights, even on weekends, we aren't out after dark. Last night I was with my granddaughter and a couple of hours with her is like a workout at the gym. I really wanted to stay in bed this morning but the thought of all the fun I have with all of you each day motivated me to get out of bed and come to work. Admittedly, I am already dreaming of sleeping in on Saturday.

Today...Friday...is going to be the best day of the week in terms of weather with temperatures in the 80's and low humidity. Enjoy it!

Friday rituals. As soon as I wake up on Fridays I am in a weekend frame of mind. It really kicks in when I put on a pair of jeans for "Casual Day". Then my wife and I stop at McDonald's for a quick breakfast. Friday is also the one day of the week I go out for lunch with my friend, Wendy. These little rituals remind me that I made it through another work week and the weekend awaits me. Today I am really ready for the weekend. As soon as my system booted up this morning at work I immediately clicked on my "Go Home" icon, shutting my computer down. Whoa, there, big fellow, not yet! I had to remind myself that I still had an entire day of work ahead of me.

No comments: