Friday, July 23, 2010

Awesome Things Volume XXV

Birdsong. The first thing I hear each morning...after my alarm clock...is birdsong. It's a nice, peaceful way to start the day. In my experience, the way you start your day usually carries over to the entire day. If you start it calm and you are not rushed, most of your day will be the same. If you wake up late, in a frenzy, rushed and stressed, it's a pretty sure bet that you will feel like that for the rest of the day. Birdsong is a reminder that there is much in life that is beautiful but one must pay attention or you will miss it. Many days our bodies walk around in a daze. To be truly awake, not only our bodies need to be awake, but our awareness as well. It is only when we are "awakened one's" that we will notice such subtle beauty as birdsong in the morning.

Watching a storm roll in. Last night I was in my music room when it suddenly got dark. I looked out the window and I could see a storm approaching. My wife and I went out on our back porch. We sat there in silence as the wind blew through the trees and my new wind chimes finally got a workout. There was a some lightening and rolling thunder. Finally a gentle rain began to fall. It was very peaceful and I was happy to see my lawn get a nice watering. When I woke up the next morning the rain was really coming down. I found myself thinking how much I would like to stay home and read one of the books stacked on my table. Alas, the rain stopped and I had to go to work but that was OK, too, because as my son frequently says, "It's all good".

Fried Green Tomatoes. Earlier this week I had lunch with a friend at the Buckhead's Restaurant across the river from downtown Louisville. He asked me if I would like to share an appetizer of fried green tomatoes. I had never eaten them before, and being a wild and crazy guy, I said, "Sure, I'm in"! They were very tasty and nicely fried with a delicate crust and a horseradish flavored dipping sauce. I could have made a whole meal out of them but I didn't. I also ordered a Hot Brown. Workday lunches with friends, especially those with a nice view of the river, don't exactly make one want to return to work. However, motivated by my desire for continued food, running water, air conditioning, and other things that make life bearable, I returned to the office. Did I mention that my friend paid for lunch? That was awesome, too!

Picking my granddaughter up at the daycare. Yesterday I was asked to pick up my granddaughter at the daycare. She didn't know I was doing it. I walked in unannounced and simply stood there until she noticed me. When she did she yelled "Pa Paw" while running to me. She jumped into my arms, giving me a very tight hug. People usually don't get that excited when I walk into a room. Sometimes I am overwhelmed by how much this little girl loves me. Of course, the feeling is mutual because I consider her a wonderful addition to my life. Getting to be a grandparent is the reward for being a parent. If you are a grandparent you know what I mean. If you're not, you will someday if you are lucky.

The pizza that I ate last night. Yes, I am talking about the one I shouldn't have eaten. It was pretty awesome. I ate dinner at the Hometown Pizza in Middletown because I had to go to a funeral home after I got off from work. Funeral homes aren't awesome but most of us get to a point in our lives where marrying the young and burying the old is the only time we see our extended family. I have been fortunate to be part of very good families on both sides. We have our share of characters like all families. Anyway, last night I got to see some aunts and cousins I haven't seen in quite a while. I feel blessed to be part of such a big family.

No comments: